Saturday, February 26, 2005

Sunshine and Rain at Once, Her Smiles and Tears


Amy, Nancy and Simon

"Sunshine and Rain at once, her smiles and tears..." I think that is a quote from King Lear. I'm not sure, but I think it is from one of Shakespeare's plays. And it's from memory so it is not verbatim.

"Sunshine and Rain at once..." Yesterday, Friday, was a hard day. We buried one of our youth members. I think that says it all. Amanda was only 15, a sophomore at North Mesquite High School...and I could write more about her sweet smile and cheerful disposition, but I will mention the most important thing: on Sunday, she was at the altar, once again consecrating her life for God and praying to find her purpose in life. On Monday night, she died at Baylor Hospital after the hit and run accident.

In the midst of the tragedy, how wonderful to know she was in such close communion to God as he welcomed her home.

Sunshine and Rain at once, their smiles and tears: Yesterday our youth buried a friend in the morning, and that evening, a group of about 40 went to the Acquire the Fire Conference. I was able to go to the evening session and was happy to see so many really worshipping God during praise and worship. Many of our youth responded to the altar call (or should we say reunion arena floor call) to either accept Christ for the first time or to rededicate their lives and "keep it real" with God. I'm proud of the youth: the ones who are interested in God, the ones who just met God, the ones who want to come back to God, and the ones who are faithful in their walk with God.

They stayed at the church last night, and are back at the conference today. I'm about to leave to visit with them during their supper break. (I can't be as involved this year because of Simon.)

Amanda's tragic and untimely death has opened up a new area of my heart--I am thankful for A God who is bigger than death--a God who offers new life both here and in heaven. I am also challenged to pursue closer relationships with the youth and to challenge them to know Christ and let Him change their lives.Posted by Hello

1 comment:

Amy said...

ATF was great from what I hear! Lots of kids and lots of fresh starts. and lots of fun.