Friday, February 11, 2005


Simon -- A Star is Born

This pix is a couple of months old--but upon recent words of affirmation, I think most blog readers want to see more of Simon--so, here he is!

I remember when we(I) was planning the nursery, I wanted to stay away from the traditional boy themes: trains, jungle animals, fire-trucks, etc. I thought the theme: A Star is Born would be perfect. I could collect some eclectic boy decor and mix it with some stars (not the twinkle twinkle type, more of the Pier I type.)

And people kept asking me what my theme was, but Matt didn't really want us to have a "theme." So, I tried to develop the theme without calling it one. I like the way it worked out, though.

Here is some info. for anyone expecting, some lessons learned:
* Don't buy the more expensive pre-packaged nursery sets that include a matching quilt, bumperpads, curtains, diaper stacker, bedskirt, etc. The quilts are a suffocation hazard and pediatricians recommend not using them. Our pediatrician just told us this week to take out the bumper pads, too, as they pose a suffocation risk. The diaper stacker doesn't hold enough diapers to be of much use. You can probably make cuter window coverings that are more unique. The bedskirt is nice, though, to cover the space between the crib mattress and carpet and to hide the space (which is great for storage.) But you don't want to spend $120 + dollars on just a bedskirt. I think you can buy those separately, anyway.
* Use the extra money to buy sheets I saw advertised in some parenting magazine. The flat panel unzips when it is dirty, and you replace it with other panels. For those of you who have changed baby mattresses, you know what a pain they can be. These sheets (I'm guessing), would take the pain out of it--just unzip around the edges. Most crib sheets are less than $10 and a real waste of money b/c you'll do anything to avoid changing the sheets. Skip the expensive bedding set and spring for these "zip" sheets which I think are around $30-$40 dollars, plus like $15 for replacement panels.

I am very thankful for a good friend, Julia, in TN. She has helped me take care of Simon and stock the nursery, from across several states, thanks to our phone lines.

Any other ideas for nurserys? I love decorating and organizing advice!!Posted by Hello

1 comment:

Hello World said...

If I were making my own nursery the colors would be black and blue. Has anyone ever seen a black and blue nursery? I'm lying, I wouldn't, I wouldn't choose the colors. My dad just decided to paint their master bedroom pink. You know he loves my mom! His will power to go with pink was quite inspiring. We'll have to get a before/after picture. :)