Thursday, August 24, 2006

Playdate


Pictured above is Simon and Elia (age 4.) Something about Elia has always captured my heart; I think it is his precious attitude and sweet voice (and he reminds me a little of Simon which is odd b/c Simon is younger, so I guess he reminds me of how I think/hope Simon will be!) In the pix, Elia is helping Simon take off the frog boots!

I had a nice time visiting with Lindsay and was able to get some great ideas for time mangement and some good recipes, too. I think Matt will be excited about the one for homemade granola.

I listen to audiobooks while cleaning, so I usually finish one a week. WELL, this week I listened to one that I (to my better judgment) passed by several times at the library. I would read the back and then think, "nah, that sounds really, really annoyingly predictable. Last week, (against my better judgment,) I checked out the book. BIG MISTAKE. Every little thing about the book drove me crazy: the narrator's voice, the predictable characters and plot. Why, oh why, did I listen to the whole book??? At one point, I considered turning it off, even at the last chapter, but my propensity for closure drove me to the finish line.

I will not admit what book it was. That would be TOO embarrassing. I'm not against Christian fiction, but if I had to judge from this one book ... Well, don't ask. I'll never tell.

What's sad, though, is how horrible this book must have been to drive ME crazy. I have a high-tolerance for bad movies and books. For example, more often than not, if I watch a Mystery Science Theatre with Matt, I actually get into the horribly made B movie that they are making fun off. One night, long time past, Matt bought this DVD for a $1 at The Dollar Tree. That alone should tell you something. He fell asleep around 1:30 a.m., but I stayed awake and finished the movie. It had an interesting plot (sort of.) I remember being kind of frustrated with Matt that night before watching the movie, knowing that he would fall asleep and that I would have to stay awake and finish the movie. Yep, I know myself (and Matt) that well, as that is exactly what happened.

Well, tonight as we were stocking up on audiobooks for our LOOOOOOONG drive next week, I saw the sequel to the book that drove me crazy. Nope, I didn't check it out. I thought I might go crazy listening to any more of the dribble!

No comments: