Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Breakfast for Play





These are pix from the children's play area at the mall. Crazy, huh? Reminds me of a Dali painting (the eggs, I think.)
I was thinking the idea is okay, but the motif? Personally, I think something a little more 'heavenly' would be a better teaching tool for kids. The stars, sun, moon, etc. Then you could more easily incorporate God the Creator (Elohim) into the conversation.
For example: "Oh, Simon, let's go see the stars. Look at them. Did you know the Bible says that the 'Heavens declare the glory of God?' That means that the infinite wonder of the galaxies point to an intelligent Creator. There are so many stars, but God knows each one--He placed them there. God knows you by name, too."

You can see how the 'Heavens' easily leads a conversation about God.
The breakfast plate? Not as conducive.

"Oh, Simon, let's see the big chunk of meat. Did you know that steak comes from dead cow? And these eggs...Well, they could have been cute little baby chicks. Did you know that God made the cows and chickens and gave us the freedom to eat them?" No scriptures immediately come to my mind for the breakfast plate except for I Corinthians 6:12..." 'Everything is permissable for me'--but not everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissable for me'--but I will not be mastered by anything." I guess I could emphasize Jehovah Jireh (Our Lord will Provide.)

One admonition that is emphasized in many of the parenting books that we have read is to make it a habit to bring into conversation the words and works of our God. To constantly be making much of God's power, love, and holiness. A BIG view of God and a LITTLE (but not in a bad way) view of us.

Well, I have plans to finish the last of laundry folding while watching part of last year's Gospel for Asia's Mission Conference on DVD. Matt and I are watching the segment with Ron Luce and it is really interesting to how the Lord gave him a special burden for the teens of this generation and for the lost world.

Just finished Reading: EVIDENCE NOT SEEN by Darlene Deibler
Key words: Autobiographical, Missionary, Japanese Prisoner of War
Who would want to read it: YOU
Most memorable: The word hidden in her heart and the ongoing 'conversation' prayer she has with the Lord
What to do: Add it to your list of what to check out at the library

1 comment:

Corey, Kelly, Alex, Blaize said...

Amy,
I love that book! My favorite part is the section where God provides enough bananas to last her entire prison sentence when she only wanted one.
That is a neat play area. You could always try to teach Simon "Taste and see that the Lord is good."
Kelly