Monday, May 05, 2008

Backyard Defense

Yes, that is Matt high in our tree WITH an axe.
Yes, I was worried.
Simon was playing under the tree, also a liability...
We are determined to be on the defense with 'webworms' that invaded North Texas last Spring and Summer.  We saw a couple of the deceivingly cute caterpillars last week, so we went on a 'webhunt' to take down infected branches.
Aha!  The culprits ...
Don't Mess With Texas
Different Aspects of Evie's face near sunset ... 
Each picture is UNIQUE.
A couple of Saturdays my mom and dad came up to spend a few hours with Evie and Simon and so that Matt and I could go out.  I think this was our first time to be out by ourselves for an evening out since Evie has been around.  So, six months!  Long time coming!
I called Simon and asked what he did with Gigi and Pops.
Simon:   "We went to the countryside and played in the creek.  
It was cold."
Oh, poor city boy.  He deemed the little grassy area behind the school down the street the 'countryside.'  Mom doesn't remember using the word w/ him, so we aren't quite sure where he picked up that vocabulary.
While I was on the phone, I also asked mom how my 'difficult' children were doing.  (I was being sarcastic as we don't think they are difficult at all.)
Typical Grandmother Response:
Mom:  Oh, Simon is playing with his bouncy ball while I cook.  The ball just landed in the eggs.
Me:  Is Evie asleep?
Mom:  Well, she cried when we put her down -- So we thought she wanted to watch the Mavericks with Pops ... :) ?
Simon has been calling something outside 'peacrumbs.'  We aren't sure what they are.  Sometimes he calls leaves that fall "peacrumbs" and sometimes "peacrumbs" are little pieces of something nature-like that falls on our deck.  
See, I don't even know what they are! 
So, he decided he wanted to eat pea-crumbs.
He went in our pantry, found a can of peas, and literally carried it around all morning until lunch time when we heated it up and he ate no less than half a can of English Peas.  Yuck.  The frozen ones are okay, but canned peas ... well, they are a stretch!
When he was eating the peas, he said,
"I can like that."
Awww...reminds me of how he used to say, "I can't like that" instead of saying "no."

1 comment:

Elicia said...

I like all your pictures! I found some of the webworm stuff on our apple tree, and it was bothering me because it was ugly and I didn't want it to kill the apples, so I cut it off. I enjoy your blog! I write one for my family; the address is: www.thechristoffersonfamily.blogspot.com.
-Ellie