Thursday, June 15, 2006

Bye Bye Fun







To help Simon transition from activities, especially the 'fun' ones, we began a 'good-bye dialogue.' For example, when it's time to leave the park, we pick him or up take his hand and say "Bye bye park." Then Simon says, "Bye, bye, park." Then we in turn say "Bye, bye slide" and "Bye, bye, sun," "Bye, bye, swing," with Simon echoing each goodbye sentiment. Simon now will initiate some of the good bye sentences.

The other day, he ended with "Bye-bye fun....." as we left the park -- (sweet and a little sad)

I was in our backyard with Simon this morning, and I could tell when he was ready to go inside. It wasn't hard to figure out. He stood by the backdoor and started saying "Bye-bye, water. Bye-bye, sun." If that wasn't a big enough clue, he had also taken off one of his shoes and put it up in the outside shoe basket.

The pix of Matt 'sleeping' on the slide makes me smile.

Also, the true boyness of Simon's scuffed up face in the one pix. He is truly 100% boy. His little legs are spotted with small bruises from playing so hard.

Mom and Dad brought Simon back a sailor hat from St.Louis. I'll have to take a pix of that and post it soon. He wanted to wear it to bed last night. When I sat down to read a book to him and give him his nightly sippy cup, Snoopy was in our chair with Simon's hat on. So, Simon put it on himself and was quite content to leave it at that. Once he was practically asleep, I managed to slip it off his head without too much of a struggle. I guess I could have let him sleep with it on, but I wasn't thinking, I was just being ruled by tradition, I guess!

Matt and I had a trip down memory lane last night when we watched The Flight of the Navigator from 1986. I didn't remember Sarah Jessica Parker being in the movie, but she was. Ah, the 80s--WHAT we were we thinking? It's like a stain on our nation's heritage -- the hair, the clothes, the make-up, the music. Granted, it has reminiscent value.

No comments: