Sunday, January 08, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!


Caption: SUPERMAN!

Today, I am thirty minus three. Or Twenty plus seven. F.Y.I. January 8th was also Elvis' birthday.
My birthday celebration lasted all weekend and it was full of all sorts of pleasantries.

We had all-night prayer this Friday, so Simon stayed with my parents this weekend. Saturday (late morning), Matt brought me breakfast in bed. (Earl Grey Tea and Baked Oatmeal which is yummy in case you haven't tried it.) Then he vacuumed our van out for me.

Then I went for one of my favorite activities (garage sales and thrift stores) with Rachael C.

We had so much fun and here's our most excellent finds: Simon got some cute board books at the garage sale at the K.'s house (G.F.A. family relocating to the G.F.A. office in the UK)

Our thrift store finds: Rachael: 2 fun shirts with one being of exceptional, exceptional material and a hopefully fave pair of grey slacks. Amy: Balderdash (which I have been wanting and was considering buying later that weekend for my birthday, but I don't think we could beat the $2 price at Target, plus it was the old version which I think I like better than the new version), the board game Malarky (similar to Balderdash and also $2), and perfect jeans (now and later.)

To make the outing even nicer, Matt called while we were out and asked me to stay out later so he could clean even more for me. Awesome. What a wonderful gift of service.

So, I visited leisurely at the Tysons before heading home.

I made Matt some lunch or dinner or whatever you eat mid-afternoon when you don't plan on eating dinner. And then we played disc golf and walked in the park and it was so gorgeous outside--in the 80s I think.

Then game night at the Chupp's. Fun. People. Games. Popcorn.

Then Blockbusters for a movie of my choice. We rarely rent movies. They didn't even have our name on file anymore. I don't think we've rented anything since BEFORE Simon was born. (We usually get movies at the library.) So we had to fill out paperwork.


As the birthday weekend continued...
Breakfast at Cafe Brazil (I love the bottomless cup of coffee and we love that there's one just down the road since the one at Lake Ray Hubbard by our former homestead closed down)
Church (Bent Tree hoping to see Wesleyan friends but too many people)
Bike Ride
Mom, Dad, Scott, return Simon to us and we have Chinese and birthday cake.
(I made my own birthday cake. How sad.)
I was actually glad to try a new recipe (pineapple coconut pound cake.)

I really don't feel like I deserved all the attention, fun outings, and gifts this weekend. I felt like I was playing hooky from parenting. (The healthy part is that I missed Simon so much. He is so much fun. So much. So much.)

Hmm.

Funny story: my mom got me lots of hand towels. I know she thinks we have none because we're really bad about not having them in the guest bathroom. We actually have plenty, but we can always use more and I think it's really sweet and funny and helpful. (She also got me soap................................................................................. Bath and Body kitchen soap...but it was funny to make you think it was for the bathroom. That would have been hilarious. By the way, we do without exception have soap in the bathroom. It's just the hand towels that never make it out.) Mom had a 'room theme going.' The hand towels for the bathroom, the kitchen soap, and a Kohls gift card for me. I guess that's the bedroom. AND for I don't know what room but it's really awesome, A SEWING MACHINE! Whoo-hoo! Yep, my mom knew I wanted one. So my dad took my mom's old one (that hasn't been used in years and only then it was used by Tamitha), to a shop that repairs sewing machines and asked if it would be more sensible to repair the old one or buy a new one. The fixer person said that the old machines are better b/c of the metal parts (versus plastic?). I love vintage. If 1970s is vintage.

Ooh, I'm vintage. 1979. A good year.

(I should mention that my mom used to sew before she got so busy with children. Kelly and I are only 20 months apart. So, pretty much the last things she made on the sewing machine were maternity clothes for her pregnancy with moi. Then the sewing machine took back burner.)

That's the Sunday update.

1 comment:

Hello World said...

Next year maybe one of your loved ones will make your cake. I enjoyed nevertheless:)