Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Of Frogs and Plagues


Sweet interactions at the breakfast table.
Oh, at Evie Grace's well-baby check-up yesterday, I was reminded by the kind nurses (again) that Simon is behind on some boosters.  So, I asked if we could get them, and they said I could just get them at his 4 year well-child.  I either didn't know about a 4 year check-up or had forgotten all about it.  It will be a good chance to get Simon's hearing and vision checked as well as to finally get those shots!


I love this little old-fashioned collared outfit on Evie!  It seems made for a long and thin baby!  And then it is too cute to see the little collar with the little baby face and no-hair!


Evie's 9 month well-baby was yesterday.  She weighs 15.6 (only up one pound from her last visit 3 + months ago) and I can't remember how long she is.  I do remember that Dr.Bill said her height was right at the 90% and her weight ... in the 13%.

He'd be worried, but she is content (meaning she isn't striving for food and not getting it) and is advancing developmentally at a normal pace.

This works out well for Evie.  Matt absentmindedly said, "HEAVY EVIE" one day and then commented, "Oh, no.  Evie better be one skinny chick."  Ha ha, if she isn't, we'll call her Evelyn.


Simon turned 4 last week.  
I plan to do a whole 'birthday post' whenever we finish his birthday celebrations.  We still have a family get-together and one with boys his age.  
We're kind of waiting for one specific boy to get back in town ... :)
I wonder who that is ... ?


Evie - I love her in white!  I think it is her best color.  Well, white and brown, but we don't have many brown outfits to use with her (yet).

So, Evie, even without hair is all girl!
These are her favorite things to play with, and if you try to take them from her, well, we recommend having an eye-catching replacement in hand.  She's got quite the grip and you have to pry these from her:
her hairbrush (ironic, I know)
any type of phone
empty clothes hanger
I think this is an indication of how her teenage years might be ...


Notice the sweet loving going on between Evie and Simon !


And even more sweet loving.
I'm so glad I ran into the kitchen to grab our camera!


Matt and I were the leaders in Kids Korner last Tuesday.  This is our first time back since Evie came around.  Anyway, this is a true, funny story:
We asked what songs they would like to sing.
We only had two requests: Rylie mentioned "Lullabies" but we had a feeling that she wanted it to be more of a solo than group singing.  And, Simon's request was "Transformers."


The other morning Simon walked in the living room fairly early (for him).  My kids are on a crazy schedule that is pretty much the same as other families, just two hours behind.  So, Evie's morning nap is 11-1:30 and their afternoon naps are around 4.  Anyway, it works for us at this point, but I'm realizing we could have more of a daily social life if we got our naps in sync with other families.

Simon said, "Were you praying for God?  
Because, I was praying for Jesus."  ???


Simon asked about the letters, and Matt was giving him an explanation of guitar chords.
I've walked in several times to Matt "teaching" Simon about music. 


Kids are so funny...

Simon and Rylie were looking at a children's book of Bible stories at our house the other day. 
 I heard Simon say, "That's IKEA."
Then Rylie said, "Yeah, that's IKEA."
My interest was peaked, and I walked over there to see what they were looking at, but before I got to them, I heard,
"IKEA was a wee little man, and a wee little man was he ...."


This is a conversation I overheard between Simon and Rylie (both are 4) last week as I put their lunches on the table.
**************
Rylie:  Simon, what do you want to be when you grow up?  I want to be a mommy.
Simon:  I want to be a daddy.
Rylie:  Oh, that's what you want to be?  You can do that.  
You can be my daddy, and I'll be your mommy.
Simon:  I don't look like your dad.  I think I will grow up to be like my daddy.  
My name can be Matt.  I want to grow up like my dad, to work like my dad, I think.
Rylie:  Oh, maybe we could be married.
But, I'm not sure about that.  (keeping her options open)
******************************

Look at all of that watermelon he'd already eaten!
He had a 'brain freeze' but wouldn't stop eating!
It was so funny!


Mmmmm....This was Matt's birthday breakfast.  I offered to make him anything, but this was requested.  We will be so sad when fresh blueberries leave Cost-co's aisles.

Anyway,  Evie gave Matt a Starbucks Card because of all the sleep she's cost him.
Simon gave him a new pair of sandals, since he keeps him moving.
And I gave him a boxed 5 cd set of Ennio Morricone (Italian composer) because I bring music to his life (and I knew he'd love it).


Warning:  Very disturbing news

We had a very heavy rain yesterday.  When we arrived home, I was hysterical when I saw this toad ... IN OUR TOILET!  I have heard of such things as snakes getting in toilets, and it has always scared me.  
That fear is now understandably rekindled.
Simon and Matt thought it was great fun, though.  
Matt videotaped his retrieval of new home outdoors.  
The following video is not of that, though. 

2 comments:

Profeta Family said...

Hey Amy,
We definately have to get together for family dinner like we were talking about all those months ago. My husband Jerry would absolutely love to play his guitar with your husband. It has been some time since he has played with anybody and I know he misses it. Call me!

Alicia said...

You don't know me, but I was in the youth group with Matt at WPBC. Your children are absolutely precious!