Monday, August 25, 2008

70s and Beyond



This is a picture Simon made of our family at the table.  Notice the window on the wall behind the table, the front door, and his "pen" is covering up Evie who he did include in the picture (she was in a bed on the floor next to the table.)  His daddy has lots of hands (like a spider, Simon said.)  


The burn uncovered and not looking as disturbing.


On our way to a friend's 70s-themed birthday party.
Aren't these glasses amazing?

I snagged these jeans for her on Saturday at Old Navy.
A pair for myself, as well.
At $7 for kids/babies and $12 for adults, I felt like we were stealing.
Plus, we both actually needed them!  Really.


Polyester in Texas in August.
Wasn't as bad as I imagined.


Evie and her little miniature disco ball.


This smile could melt an iceberg.


At one point during the night, I couldn't find Matt, and then I discovered him outside.
He was playing the guitar for Simon and his friend Josiah.  When the music stopped, they had to fall down and freeze.  It was cute to watch.
I regret that Matt is not wearing his aviator glasses in this picture!


Birthday girl!


I stole this picture from someone.


The finale of the party was amazing!
Miracle of miracles, it was pleasant outside, even in polyester.
JD and Chrissy showed Star Wars 
(original release date 1977) 
on the back of their house.
Notice Simon AND Evie chillin' on the bean bags on the front row!
I especially enjoyed the Mystery Science theatre commentators.
And Rachael, Matt, and Simon's chair acrobatics.

*******************************************
Funny story:  When the movie was beginning, I was asking Matt if he thought it would be scary for Simon.  Matt didn't think so.  I left it in his 'court' with the reminder that he'd be getting up with him if he was scared that night :)

Then, I found out that Simon and Matt have already watched Star Wars together before.  Matt said, "What little boy wouldn't love Star Wars?"

I guess it's hard for me to understand; I didn't grow up on Star Wars.  I'm not sure if I have ever sat through the entire film in one sitting.  And we left around 11:15 p.m. because Simon's coughing seemed to get worse outside, so I didn't finish this viewing, either!

Now I know why Simon recognized just a few stanzas of the Star Wars' theme music that we overheard somewhere last week!
He exclaimed, "That's Star Wars!"
Matt was impressed ... and proud :)



This is what erupted when we came home.
Matt and Simon were still wound from Star Wars so a few minutes of pre-midnight bedtime were spent fighting all of the 'bad guys' with ... clothes hangers fashioned into guns.


"Simon, you get the kitchen.  I've got the living room covered."


What a team.


I shall have no fears with such men in the house.

(As of late Simon hasn't been 'needing' the nighttime sleep-pants but we're not quite ready to let them go yet ... just in case.  Hey, we need our sleep!)




Simon used to wear these pajamas!
I wish I'd kept more of his!




Matt told me about this conversation that happened last night when he was putting Simon to bed.
******************
Matt:  Well, Simon, is there anything you want to tell me before I leave?
Simon:  Hmm...Well...I love you, Dad.
Matt:  Thanks, buddy.  (tucking him in)
Simon:  Daddy?
Matt:  Hmm?
Simon:  Can you say, "I love you, too?"



I have never seen a child play so long with their own reflection.
I took so many pictures; as I took the picture I hoped each time for a good pic of both Evie AND the reflection.  So, by the end of the photo shoot, I felt like their were two Evie's.  I would be so proud if I snapped a good picture of BOTH of them.
Kind of felt like I had twins.


Simon and I have started "hiding' from Matt right before he comes home.
It is the most relaxing part of my day.
We get on the couch, cover up with blankets, and wait.  In still quiet.
Simon can't wait a loooong time.
And I get such a good rest.
Sometimes, up to 10 minutes!

The other day we weren't quite sure when Matt was coming home and we were on the couch for maybe 30 minutes.
Matt came in and commented (after he found us, of course.)

Matt:  How long have you honkies been there?  
(honkies is Matt's favorite term of endearment for pretty much anyone)
Later ... Simon asked...
Simon:  Mom, we're not honkies, are we?





No comments: