Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Summertime


A random drop-in visit from my friend Megan and her kids !  I love it that she felt free to call just down the street to ask to stop in (and use our internet!)  AND I'm loving that we're good enough friends that I could just leave my pjs on and not feel completely lame! 
 (I should emphasize that it was an early morning drop-in!)


So, Megan and I were able to sit on our partially finished screened porch and chat!  
Can't wait for the day when there is screen on the porch and a fan plugged in!


First time to sit in Simon's old booster seat!


Simon loves nectarines!


Family play-time


Hats


We went to the Arboretum with Matt's parents last weekend.  We arrived just after 10 and left around 12 and it was only 88 (ish) degrees when we left!  This weather has been amazing!



Matt's mom waving


So, Matt took a few pix of Evie and then gave me back the camera.  I didn't realize he'd changed the setting from "auto" so a lot of pictures came out really dark and I just kind of changed the exposure, shadows, etc, which makes them interesting and arguably salvageable.


I took Evie in for her 6 month shots today.  Even though she is 8 months.  Long story.
In the waiting room, a little boy struck up a conversation with me.  
He was probably 8 years old.

Boy:  Your baby is pretty.  Is it a girl?
Me:  Yes
Boy:  I could tell by the pink she is wearing.  (um, thanks)
Boy:  How old is she
Me:  7 months.  Mmmm...Wait, no, I think she is 8 months.
Boy:  When was she born?  
(I am thinking, "Oh, he is going to try and help me figure out how old my unisex baby is...")
Me:  Around Halloween.
Boy:  Let's see, that's about 4 months away from now, so ... yeah, she is about 8 months old.
Me:  Thanks  
(spoken incredulously with no hint of sarcasm, really, as it was quite sweet of him to help out a harried mom -- at least he didn't try to help  me figure out if "it" was a boy or a girl.  That could have been an interesting conversation)
(His mom enters from the hall.)
Boy:  Well, bye.  Have a nice day.


This is a face we see a lot.


I had to run to Lowes last week with both kids.  For lack of a better explanation, I had told Simon we were going to a store that was like the "Man's Store."  (Home Depot)

Pulling up to the store,

Simon:  Is this the woman store?
Me:  No, Simon, it the man store, but a different color.
Simon:  Where's the orange one?
Me:  That one is called Home Depot; we're at one called Lowe's.
Simon:  Where's the green one?
Me:  Green?  When did you go to a green "Man Store."
Simon:  With Pops.
Me:  Really?
Simon:  Yeah it had boats.
Me:  Oh, Bass Pro Shop.
Simon:  What's a woman?
Me:  Well a woman is like a girl.  I am a woman.
Simon, interrupting:  MOM, you are NOT A WOMAN !  You're a GIRL.  You're a MAMA.  You're not a woman.
Me:  Yes, I am.
Simon:  You are a mother.






Mom and Dad were returning Simon last Thursday from a two-day adventure with them at their home.  Dad was also going to help us a little bit more on the porch.  When they exited Josey Lane, Mom recounted this story.
******************
Dad:  (Sighing, Huffing, etc)  I forgot my tools.
He probably did a little more lamenting and then Simon responded,
Simon:  My Daddy can share his tools.
**********************
I am happy to report that Matt did share his tools with my dad and everything worked out fine.  Things just maybe took a little longer with the lack of advanced "toolage."





This is another favorite of Evie's facial expressions.  She likes to purse her little lips.  She also has the sweetest of sweetest smiles that is SO EASY to elicit !

3 comments:

Elicia said...

YOU ARE NOT A WOMAN!!!! Simon is so funny.

Hello World said...

The Simon stories are hilarious :)

thetysonfamily said...

Ah, I just LOVE your stories!! :) I miss you tons and wish I could just pop in again!!! :)