Tuesday, January 08, 2008

38 Pictures of Times from the Southeast over Christmas











































Whew. I think I have been uploading pictures off and on for the last hour. I have put off updating the blog for awhile, because the abundance of holiday pictures intimidated me. Thirty-eight snapshots may seem like a lot to post, but trust me, there were MANY MORE I had to let go in the selection process... I hope to post the ones from our Texas Get-Together soon.

I started with four shots of Evie and I since....IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Evie looks very, very similar to my baby pictures. As mom pointed out, this is my first year to turn 29. There may be many more years that I claim this number ;)

In these pictures, I was trying my best to mimic some of Evie's classic expressions...eyes wide open, etc.

Yay, we were able to see the Cox family over the holiday. I like this picture with all of the "Cox girls" and Evie. We met in Ringgold to give Rachael a ride back to Texas with us. The kiddos did great on the trip, and we made some fun memories...especially at our lunch stop at On the Border. I predicted correctly that we would make a 'memorable impression' on our server...and we did, I'm sure, with our 3 year old who'd been sitting in a van for HOURS, with me trying to nurse discreetly in a very, very narrow booth, and with our many pieces of 'luggage' that we brought in, in the form of diaper bags, jackets, etc. And as we walked out, the hostess yelling, "Don't you need a blanket for that baby?" (Our van was just yards away)


I love the pictures of Evie in yellow, surrounded by same color hues in the bedding. Evie is just coming to life these days, with smiles and happy cooing sounds. I love that.

In those pictures of Matt and Simon and I on a little walk, I am wearing my "marathon jacket." Nikki and I went to a goodwill during college (funny thing, I think it was the one in Fort Oglethorpe) and this was my discovery. It is very old and reminded me of Mary Tyler Moore, and drycleans nicely each year, even though I just got around to doing that last week for this season. Matt is famous for his 'marathon pants', a pair of Old-Navy slacks that have been thru it all. Frayed at the ends, patched at the legs, and a new hole in need of patching that gives a generous view of his boxer fabric...

An in one of the pictures on the walk towards the lake, Scott is laughing about how Simon has to hold up his pants (we forgot his belt) and is mimicking Simon's walk-technique.

In the one pix of Simon and Corey interacting outside on the driveway, you can see both of our family's minivans with the back trunk open. I thought it captured our stage of life at this point well, and so I snapped a picture. Kelly's second baby boy is due in just a couple of months!

An impromptu throwing of a small toy football with Scott, Corey, and Matt.
All of my indoor pictures from South Carolina were too dark, which makes me sad not to see more pictures of my family there. maybe mom or Kelly can pass along some pictures of our family there to me ... :)

We are trying to teach SImon what Christmas is really about. He's close. And has no idea that Santa is supposed to bring him gifts. We're not going to do the Santa thing with our kiddos, and I think they'll be okay.

So, when we asked Simon what Christmas was about he would reply, "Baby Jesus."
What did Jesus do? (Wanting him to know that he was born to save us, at least one day)
But for now, Simon replies, "He drinks milk."
Way to go, the Son of God, Savior of the world, most revered by Simon for the fact that he drank milk.

Another cute saying by Simon: The other morning I was hugging him when he first woke up, next to his bed. I said, "Simon you are my little blessing." He replied, "No, Mama, I'm your BIG blessing."

While I am reminiscing of cute sayings, Simon was laying down in the tub yesterday. It was just a little water, but I don't like for him to do that, for ear-ache prevention. So, I said, "Simon McDaniel, what are you doing?" (Since he was breaking a rule) He said, "I'm okay, I'm justing thinking about all the birds."

And a walking commercial, he said yesterday, "Mom, I need pbskids dot org." He said that. Hmmm...maybe we should watch something else together while I nurse Evie.

We love to hear Simon expressing himself in sentences and with new vocabulary. Just his simple delight and observances are sweet and refreshing. I was helping him get dressed for church on Sunday and he randomly said, "I love my mom." I said, "Thank you, Simon, I love you, too." On a roll, he said, "I love my dad." (I love it when he calls us 'my mom' and 'my dad.' He often asks, "Where is my dad?" Back to the love-declaration story...I said, "Daddy loves you, too." Then, to top it off, he said, "I love my parents." Parents? When did he learn that we are his parents?

Matt walked into Simon's room a few days ago, and by the odor, suspected that Simon might have a dirty diaper. (Yes, unfortunately, he still wears a diaper or pull-up at bedtimes. When asked, Simon truthfully replied, "No, dad, it's just gas." :)

A Random Thought and Suggestion, in case anyone is ever asked for advice on an infant-clothing line. ALL SLEEPERS SHOULD BE FASTENED BY A FRONT ZIPPER AND NOT 15 BUTTONS. Please. I am so tired of buttons. Save the buttons for bibs, as ALL BIBS SHOULD BE FASTENED BY BUTTONS, NOT VELCRO. Velcro attracts lint, and if isn't closed while washing, can ruin delicate fabrics.

Simon riding on Alex's toy Harley...isn't he cute? I feel like a horrible aunt, with no pictures of Alex. Yikes. Kelly and Corey, please forgive me and know that I have some cute ones from Texas that I am going to post soon.

A few pictures of a Christmas Eve 'singspiration' with Christmas Carols. Simon and Papa were building a castle. I like the picture of Matt with the guitar, Ollie next to him (Ollie accompanied by playing the water glass intermittently), Simon looking at a book, and EVIE SITTING BY HERSELF in the chair, looking like a baby doll.

I was watching a special on Good Morning America about a 'new trend' of moms having babies at home with no doctor or midwife. Not sure how 'new' that is, given that it used to always be that way. I am a fan of hospitals, though, for the safety of mom and baby, for those 'just in case' scenarios that often become reality. It was kind of affirming to hear, thru the opinion of the lady being interviewed, that the best option is a Certified Nurse Midwife in a hospital setting. Yay, I felt affirmed and then saddened as I remembered that our dear Susan has moved to New Mexico. Not that we'll need her again in a delivery room setting necessarily, but we feel incredibly bonded with her, as she delivered our two babies.

Evie's outfit where she looks like a present all wrapped up is too precious, especially with the little French hat.





































More mimicking of Evie's facial expressions.



































Handsome Simon.




















Matt and I think this scrunched up face is so cute. Good thing we love it, because it's one of Evie's favorite faces.

















Here's the French hat.












Grandma and Evelyn Grace.






Simon and Evie. This reminds me of the other day when Simon announced to me that he wanted a new baby sister. We were shopping in Cost-co, just Simon and I, and a couple walked by with a baby. Simon said he didn't like Baby Ebby anymore and wanted a new one. I guess he doesn't realize there isn't a Return Policy on siblings. I asked why he wanted a new one, and he said that baby Ebby cried too much. Hmmmm.... That isn't a sad story given that he is 99.9 % of the time loving her, or at least ignoring her politely.


Sayrah and Evie. Good thing Evie didn't follow in Simon's footsteps and have an accident on Sarah during the first holding.


Whee! The Wii.

And Matt is multi-tasking as he holds Evie! Shortly thereafter, I took my turn wearing Evie and we walked with Kelly and Sarah to picturesque downtown Cartersville and window shopped, as everything, EVERYTHING was closed that Sunday afternoon...that surprisingly chilly Sunday afternoon.



A fraction of the fam visiting around the table. Just a fraction.








Matt helping Grandma with their tv/vcr/dvd player. They recruited Matt and Corey to write down step by step instructions, as they've had some trouble using the television and vcr/dvd. Matt left his number for tech-support.











Simon handing Grandma some flowers (holly) from her yard before he was on the run again.













One of Evie's first smiles.

















What a sweet holiday moment....











Not as sweet, but much more comical, is Uncle Rick boxing Simon on the Wii.

















AND FINALLY, THE LAST THREE PICTURES DEPICT WHAT YOU ARE PROBABLY DOING IF BY CHANCE YOU HAVE LOOKED AT ALL OF THESE PHOTOS AND MAYBE EVEN READ WHAT I TYPED. I AM PRETTY SURE THAT MATT DOESN'T READ ALL OF THIS PRINT, SO I DOUBT MANY OTHERS DO, BUT IF YOU DID, YOU MIGHT BE YAWNING JUST LIKE EVIE IS IN THESE PICTURES!
One of my 'birthday gifts' to myself was being indulgent in the time it took to record these special memories ... I've had a nice day so far, with lots of emails and e-cards from dear friends, a phone call from my sister and mom, some missed calls from Matt's mom and Shay, a card from Matt's parents, and now I see a missed call on my cell from Kellie Hill, so maybe I can include in my list of blessings a birthday greeting from her, though I do remember one year (2001, but who's keeping count) that Kellie called me on my birthday but didn't realize it was my birthday ... Ooh, and my Mary Engelbreit calendar and some decaf coffee from Amazon.com came in the mail today, just in time, and Matt and Simon baked me a pumpkin pie birthday 'cake' to enjoy today ... So, the very actual day of my birthday has been very special, and I haven't even mentioned the prior 'celebration' with my family last weekend and the painting that Matt surprised me with (painting as in a verb, not a noun.) and the gifts that he ceremoniously delivered to me yesterday, unwrapped, from his backpack, in their Target bag 'wrapping paper.'

No comments: