Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Falling in Love with Fall


While it may merely look like Simon is playing a video game, he is actually engaging in a virtual playdate.  
Kellie's nephew is hanging out with Simon on Skype and was watching Simon play a game.  Kellie's arms were sore, but it was all in an honest day's play.


Things Simon has done/will do that Evie has never done:
sit happily in an IKEA or other shopping cart for hours on end.


Things Evie has done that Simon has never done:
Thrown a temper tantrum.
So, we are discovering what those are - a child will actually throw themselves on the floor and cry.  Interesting.

On Evie's plus side, she also does something else that Simon never did.  She will walk up to me and get in my lap numerous times a day.


What was I thinking almost ten years ago?


Rain Rain, go away.


Trying to find some ducks to feed ...


Oh, here are Simon's virtual playdate friends.
Terry and Marcus.


The extent of my fall decorating.


I wish this were part of my decorating.
This is part of the pumpkin craziness at the Dallas Arboretum.
I would love to know how many pumpkins are actually there.


If you are having trouble finding a pumpkin this year, may I suggest bringing a large, durable, empty tote to the Dallas Arboretum.  It can come in empty and leave heavy.  Just kidding.


Simon has been friend-starved lately (well, except for school which is a huge friend-fest to him.)   So, it was good to hang out with some GFA friends one night.


Kellie and Evie entertained themselves with a bottle of Windex.


Still wondering what I was thinking ten years ago.



The Arboretum has so many pumpkins that they just tossed a bunch of them into the fountain.


We had a breakfast date last Sunday and then we went to the Arboretum and wandered around.  It was a treat to go without lugging around a stroller, but we can't wait to take the kids this weekend and let them see all of the fun fall displays.


Now I remember what I was thinking ten years ago.
 


Sunday afternoon at Gigi and Pops.
I like how Tania is being a doting aunt and reading to Evie.


Seriously, a large tote bag is a great idea.


But, if anyone asks, it wasn't my idea.


But, maybe, you could blame it on this smooth criminal.


We look so innocent.
(Honestly, our pumpkin came by the way of Home Depot pumpkin patch --not thievery-- promise.)


Simon was in a surprisingly photo-happy mood.



"Run, John, Run the law commands,
But gives us neither feet nor hands,
Far better news the Gospel brings:
It bids us fly and gives us wings."

John Bunyan


Evie wasn't in a good mood, but I thought if the camera was slightly out of focus ....


Or if I stood far away from her ....


Or if I could snap a picture when she glanced away ...


Or, maybe, if Simon could make her laugh, ....


Or if her paci made her happy ....


Or maybe Simon could make cute faces and trick her into making one, too....


Or we could try having Simon looking pensive and then maybe Evie would reflect on her bad attitude and repent ...


And maybe the spookily festive yard next door could scare her into a smile ...


That didn't work.


No, Simon, even your cutest smiles aren't contagious today.


And your creepy smile isn't working, either.

Well... we thought if we tried all that, then maybe, 
we would end up with something better than this.

3 comments:

Elicia said...

maybe melissa will get her pumpkin that way. she's gonna have a pumpkin carving party.

banderclip said...

aw, your kiddos are so cute - happy or sad!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy reading your blogs and seeing your pictures.

I love all the pumpkins at the arboretum! And I also loved Evie's little blue vest. Too cute!