Tuesday, June 10, 2008

First Days of June


Last Tuesday Simon was able to pick out a prize at Target (he was limited to the 'bucky bins').  He chose a pack of 3 water guns!
Fun followed.

You can see the first stage of our screened porch.


I realized today when I saw Evie's bath tub in the hall bath that she hasn't had a 'real bath' in a month or so!   Now, before you grimace in disgust, we have, instead, been giving her showers!  She loves them!  We started just letting her sit in her "Bebe pod" in our shower with the very hot water not hitting her, but created a steam bath to help with congestion.  Then, we also began cleaning her in the shower.  Then, we realized, we could do double duty and put her in there with whoever was taking a shower.  


Simon and I were working in his pre-reading workbook the other day and the activity was to draw a picture of your pet ... or what kind of pet you would like to have.  So, Simon wanted us to draw a dog.  We were instructed to name the dog, so I asked Simon what he would name his pet dog ....  Goosey  (or Goosie).  I thought that was so cute!  And we could call our fictitious dog, "Silly Goosie."

Silly Goosie
Simon Says

That reminds me of the battle we had trying to decide how to spell Evie, even though it's just her abbreviated real name, Evelyn.    Evie - Evey - Evvie - etc.  Phonetically, Matt's suggestion was Ehv.


Caption:  We made some cookies for Ava and Family.  
Simon sampled some and dunked them in his milk!

Simon has exciting news!  I know fellow moms and grandmothers will rejoice with us -- Simon seems to have gained victory in the last week and a half over the infamous, um, trying to be discreet, #2... !

It's been a real battle with Simon with real fear.

In addition to having real mercy for his real fear, we helped coach along victory with a new strategy of cold showers.  This practice of water-therapy was only implemented two weeks ago, and I think is to thank for our recent successes.

We told Simon that cold water would help 'clean him up', so that wasn't much fun but it did help increase his desire to try.  It was a little short of cruel, even though the water was just a little on the cool side and not a real 'cold' shower.  Also, if we were having an extended time of 'trying' on the toilet with no real effort, we would lament with Simon that we didn't want to give him a cold shower, but that a cold shower would help that poop come out (in does, in a circuitous way).  So, then Simon would really try and voila, success!

So, the cool shower treatment, along with fiber gummi bears, prayers, and awesome treats have brought success!  I think we may be over this hurdle that presented itself the week Evie was born --- 7 months ago!

Simon really did have trepidation and fear over this "growing up" rite of passage.  There was a couple of times in the last two weeks that I was able to really help 'coach' help in the bathroom.  It was kind of sad, sweet, and hilarious.  It reminded me of helping someone in the labor and delivery room as Simon seemed to pass all the 'signposts' of labor.

Okay, as I was typing this and thinking hmm, should I really post all these details, I think I will as most readers are close friends, moms, and family members.

I was just interrupted by Simon with yet another success for which to be rewarded.  He is begging for more food now so that it can turn into "more poop" so he can get a treat.

As his semi-weekly, um, movements have ceased, I have also noticed a trend of better behavior and happiness.    Also an increase in actual naps, though this could be due to fighting the cold virus that is recirculating in our house, or it could be due to his increased level of comfort.

****************
Simon just walked in again as I was typing and I asked him ...  (really this is verbatim)

Mom:  Simon, how did you get so good at pooping?  What helped you?
Simon:  Hmmm ... I think God.  He was in the bathroom with me, and I would say "Hi" to him.
Now, He is in the sky.  Why is He in the sky, mom?

So, maybe the cold showers had nothing to do with our new success.




The toy under her foot was her daddy's toy when he was little!  I think we had one, too!


Evelyn Grace helping her mommy throw together some pb&j sandwiches for a quick, on-the-go dinner as we drove to visit Evie's new friend Ava in the hospital.  Evie is making quite a mess with the cereal box.  Thankfully, it is in a zip-loc bag.  Evie also "helped" me make some fruit-salad cups.


Simon:  Mom, do we have a hole in the ground?
Mom:  No, do you want one?
Simon:  I want a mousehole.  So they can eat cheese.
....
Later

Simon:  I want a mousehole right here, and I want a lot of cheese here for the mice.
I want to look at mice.


I can tell there is going to be a trip to the pet store really soon.  Just for a visit.  Hopefully we will not walk out with any purchases.


At dinner one night when it was just the kids and I (Matt was sleeping as he felt very sick), this is part of a conversation .....

*****

Mom:  God is good to me.  I have two beautiful children.  
Strong, healthy Simon (stroking his face) and strong, healthy Evie (feeding her a bite of cereal).
Simon:  NO !  Evie's not strong.
Mom:  What is she?
Simon:  He (yes, he) is little.  She has no fear.  Mom, what's fear?


Speaking of fear, we made a huge mistake.  We watched "Snow White" with Simon.  Wow, that movie is going in the trash or our box to take to the Resale.  We have this crazy laser disc player that Matt "won" on Ebay.  It came with no remote, so we couldn't fast-forwards parts we would normally fast-forward.  We should have turned it off, but were kind of interested in watching the movie, for old-times' sake.


Mom:  Simon, why are you wearing Evie's shorts?
Matt:  Oh, I was wondering why they were so tight ... (he had dressed Simon)


Sleeping on the side of her head (again!) that needs to flatten out a bit.  


Sweetness


Simon picking apples at a friend's home.


Simon:  Where does Timmy live? ... Delaford?  I love Delaford ..... What's Delaford?


Evie and I trekked down to the volleyball courts below our house on the greenbelt to check on Simon and to watch a volleyball game featuring some GFA dedicated volleyball players.  Evie only had eyes for her daddy, though.  And Simon, only had eyes for the huge, unlimited amounts of sand and the various possibilities of sand-play.


Simon showing Evie a water bottle partly-filled with sand.  
I should bring a bucket and shovel next time.


Matt is hilarious.  Last week he happened to weigh himself and (it seemed to him) that he'd lost 6 pounds in a couple of weeks.  No, he wasn't trying.  The hilarious part is that he said he thought it was because he noticed he wasn't eating as much peanut butter.  I don't know I thought that was so funny, but I did and couldn't quit laughing!


Indiscreet ways God made tell you your shirt is too small ---
Your husband puts it away in your three year old's closet, thinking it is his.

(In my defense, the t-shirt is an under-layering shirt and is always worn UNDER another shirt)


The other day, instead of reminding Simon to "flush", I told him to, "delete it," and I realized, I had been working too long on a computer project that morning.


Matt serving


Evie has this funny habit of sticking out her tongue like this.  She usually does it when she is happy, though you can't tell from this photo.  Last night, Simon and I were dancing around to a song in "Singing in the Rain" while Matt held Evie on the couch.  When the song was done, Evie literally started clapping and squealing and sticking out her tongue (all in joy!)  It was so funny!

THE HAZARDS OF PARENTING IN 2008 THAT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED IN PARENTING BOOKS PUBLISHED IN 1908

Warning:  Make sure at bedtime that one or both of the parents can hear the baby.  Remember that ipods, noise-machines, etc, can camouflage any cries of children, and though that may sound like a good thing, it is really not a responsible practice, nor does this book endorse such negligence.

*************************

This ALMOST happened to us, though not on purpose.  We weren't planning on NOT HEARING our kids, but ...

Amy:  Matt,can you put the Bible on my ipod?  Wouldn't that be a great way to fall asleep?  (I realize that might sound bad, but you do have to fall asleep, so drifting off to God's Word seems like a good thing)
Matt:  Sure, I think there is a pod-cast like that.
Amy:  thinking .... Oh, how would we do that?
Matt:  What?
Amy:  Well, you already listen to your ipod at night.
Matt:  So?
Amy:  I guess we could take turns.
Matt:  Hmm,  why?
Amy:  Well, shouldn't one of us be able to hear the kids ?


Can you imagine???  A new danger of parenting with all these 20 and 30-something parents shirking their children at night for a playlist !

Well, there are mp3 players for cribs, so as long as we share ... !

No comments: