Saturday, February 02, 2008

Late January and Revamped Blogging

This picture was taken on Thursday right before Ladies' Meeting at GFA.  It was fun to take Evie to an "all girl" event.  Evie and I also went shopping at Old Navy by ourselves this past week--our official first "mommy and daughter" shopping venture.  I'm sure there will be many more and that one day, when Evie is a teen, I won't have as much of a role in that...(sidenote:  I bought Evie her first hoodie :)
So, I called a dear friend and fellow blogger (Lindsay) for help with using blogger, and I was re-introduced to the joys of colors and fonts.  Please bear with me as I indulge with color.  I just noticed I am wearing Simon's penguin apron in the above picture.  
I forgot that I was wearing his apron, and I almost went to the Ladies' Meeting wearing the penguin apron until Matt pointed out my fashion-error...
Simon making a funny face at my request.  He was helping Matt assemble a bed.  Yep, last Saturday we braved IKEA with both kiddos.  It was Simon's first time to get to be checked into the kids' playplace, since he is "awake-trained."  He loved it!  When we got to IKEA we ate dinner...where else can you get two meals (including salmon), a super kid-friendly 99 cent mac and cheese, dessert and coffee for under thirteen dollars?  We tried to use the bottle warmer for Evie's bottle but couldn't figure it out so we were super bad parents and used the microwave.  Then, it was way too hot so we shopped for about 30 minutes and then offered it to Evie.  I stopped in the mirror section and just held the bottle while Evie was in the stroller.  I wonder if I looked like an indifferent mom to passer-bys.  It was only Evie's fifth bottle ever and the only time I'd never held her during a bottle, but...it still felt lame and I imagined myself being judged by everyone else.
This sight greeted me last Saturday when I emerged from cleaning our closet.  Matt and Simon took cleaning the floors to a new level as they pretty much moved all mobile furniture from the living room  (recliner, red chair, exercise bike, rug, etc).  Simon enjoyed "helping" clean last Saturday.  We did lots of fairly major-cleaning as a family.  At one point, I was 'stuck' in the closet because Matt had began mopping our bedroom floor when I was in there, so I took advantage of the time to organize the closet.  Matt wanted to clean the floors since we were without bed for a few hours.  The people who had bought our former IKEA bed thru Craigslist picked up the bed Saturday morning and then we went Saturday evening to get our new IKEA bed.  Even exchange as far as monies pretty much, so that was fun.  I wanted a higher bed (would have really come in handy that last trimester) and besides our bed really didn't match the wood in our room, especially with the added "fireplace"/heater.
Simon's hat serendipitously constructed by Matt.
I was cooking and Simon was very proud of the letter "I" that he made.
Simon - excited to help put up the toilet paper and determined to put it all under his sink ... He has always been enthralled by toilet paper rolls.
Another picture of last Saturday's late-night bed assembling.
Simon and new-friend and twin Asa who recently turned two.
Caption:  "Evie and her Groupies" 
Jenna on the left is Asa's twin sister.  Rylee is a few months older than Simon and he is quite taken with her.  This week he asked several times for his "Rowlee girl."  So, needless to write, Simon was quite pleased with Tuesday's relatively unplanned, spontaneous, and fun visit with Rylee and company.  Evie was officially three months old this day, January 29th.  And, so, during the afternoon nap time I finally began sorting out all of the hospital and lab-bills that have been coming in since Evie's birth. 
Evie fell asleep last Monday after having dinner with a couple of the new GFA interns. 
Evie is fairly flexible, given the right equipment.  
We're pretty thankful for baby equipment and friends who let us borrow bouncers, swings, and other baby necessities.  
Just this morning we were delivered a much nicer swing to borrow than ours.  
Plus, it was delivered with a warm cup of Starbucks coffee.  I'm also flexible, given the right amount of coffee...  
Funny story, Ruthie's mom delivered swing on loan from Rylee, Jenna and Asa's mom.  
What a nice, communistic society GFA is turning out to be :)  The aforementioned swing is currently in use AND, as a bonus, it came on loan with rechargeable batteries.  Nice.
Another funny face of Simon's, per request from moi.

Simon is becoming increasingly impressed with Evie's progress.  The other day he was so excited, he said, "Look, Mom, she's praising the Lord."  (She had her hands up in the air looking at them).  Tony joked last night that Simon must be sneaking out of bed to watch late-night TBN...  Simon will also hold toys up to Evie and "help" her push buttons and then exclaim, "Evie is playing with her toys!"  Or, "She's holding you!" when Evie grasps and holds my hands.  And, new this week as far as Evie's developmental milestones, "She laughed!"  Simon solicited Evie's first laugh this week.
The other day Simon said, "Let's sing to the Lord."  These are the words he proceeded to sing:  "God loves Evie.  I won't hurt her head.  Sing to the Lord."  Earlier that morning Simon had been "playing" with Evie by tossing matchbox cars to her.  
Unfortunately, at least one car hit her face.  
Fortunately, I was right there to instruct Simon in proper play etiquette.
Evie during her semi-tummy time.  
Matt went to the Asian grocery store on Sunday to get some rice.  I cannot go in the store without feeling sick to my stomach (smell), but we really like their rice.  Here is a funny dialogue ...
Matt:  They have all kinds of crazy stuff there.  I love that store.  The smell is kind of gross, but I don't know, I kind of embrace it."
Amy:  (laughs)  I can't.
Matt:  (with an encouraging tone)  You probably could now.  (since I'm not pregnant)
Texas "snow flake" cookies that we made.  It was fun and super kid-friendly.  Cut up tortillas, brush with a melted butter/cinnamon/sugar mixture.  Bake.
The other day I told Simon, "Simon, I love you!  You are my little angel."  He replied, "I'm not your angel.  I'm just a boy."  Simon has a bit of a natural tendency towards fear and is scared of 'scarecrows' which are pretty much his term for scary people/faces.  So, instead of singing the VeggieTales song, "God is bigger than the bogey man" we've started singing, "Oh, God is bigger than the sca-are-crows..."
Sidenote on our family's hobbies:  As I updated this blog today, Matt has found a recipe for blueberry pie, made the pie, including pie crusts, and the pie is now baking.  This is funny, further proof of his pie obsession.  And ironic because we're planning to go to the gym later (and hoping Evie would be content to sit in her infant car seat while we're on the elliptical machines.)  Evie did her first gfa all night prayer last night, to 4 a.m.  Of course, being up in the middle of the night isn't new to Evie...

No comments: