Thursday, December 06, 2007

Week Four and Five
















We had a nice, picturesque family 'holiday' evening on Monday, with a fire, pumpkin pie, christmas music on the record player, and painting Christmas pictures with Simon at the kitchen table. I forgot how good a 'real fire' smells.
Last Friday, I had my first solo outing with both of my kids. Not too exciting, we were going for Simon's flu shot...
This morning at breakfast, I was about to run and check on Evie, but Simon said, "Mommy, sit here." So, I accepted his invitation. Then he said, "Let's pray. I'll pray. I pray for the food. Thank you. Body. Oatmeal. Water. My water is too cold. Amen."
At 5 weeks, Evie has now slept two night stretches of 5 hours! She has cried out at about 4 hours, but I was too tired to get up and I guess I fell asleep and before I knew it, another hour had passed and she 'awoke' again.
We included a couple of pictures of our 'yoda' Evie.
Evie had a fussy weekend and we were sad to miss potential naps and sleep times...but Matt tried to help team morale by suggesting we think of it as a "lock-in." Hmmm...
There are some pictures of Evie's first bath in the tub. We usually just give sponge-type baths on her changing table, but Monday evening Evie was such a mess we pulled out the 'big tub.' Matt was changing her diaper and she kept adding to it until there was literally a puddle on the table...Matt got the easy job of the bath while I cleaned up the changing table :0
It's humorous how different her first bath was than Simon's. For Simon's, we had everything prepared, a camera ready, it was a milestone. For Evie, Matt didn't even know we had a tub and I was retrieving it from the laundry room as he was holding Evie over the tub. As I cleaned up the changing table, Matt answered a phone call (the phone was in his pocket), Simon was hanging onto Matt. It wasn't without mishap, Evie did bump her head pretty strongly against the side of the baby tub :(
We took our car into the shop to fix a mysterious problem before our trip. Our heater/air wasn't working. Then, it began working ALL OF THE TIME. You couldn't turn it off. As we drove to the mechanics, the brake light came on for the FIRST TIME and so Matt asked them to also check out our brakes and just a general tune-up before our highway voyage. Turns out our brakes were shot. We needed 4 new brake pads and the back pads had 'less than 2% left and the front pads were almost as bad.' So, by God's grace, we discovered this potentially dangerous problem before leaving town! We are quite thankful for that.
Simon just took out his toy camera and announced, "I'm going to take a picture of you." I smiled and said, "Cheese." Then, he looks at the camera and says, "That is a good picture. I took a good picture."
I love the pic of Matt rocking Evie to sleep as he watches something on his ipod. Parenting in 2007 ;)

No comments: