Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Father and Son






Matt wasn't thrilled when he saw that Simon was dressed like him last Saturday, he even went to change clothes, for fear of being labeled as 'cute,' but he was a good sport and stayed matching for the rest of the day! It was so sweet and cute!

Simon loves to 'help' build things. We saw some pictures of landscaping rocks somewhere yesterday and Simon said, "I wanna help daddy build." He calls the deck a 'duck.' Yesterday he built a deck with his blocks. He is also really into building something that sounds like 'jokes' but we aren't sure what those are. He has also pointed out 'jokes' driving along the highway. We are currently trying to solve that linguistic mystery.

We often ask Simon questions like "Who made the sky?" "Who made Simon?" "Mommy has to go to bed now but who is with you?" Simon answers "God" and we of course don't know to what limited ability he understands that theologically, but I think he might be using God's omnipresence to his advantage. For example, yesterday he made a huge mess with his blocks and I commented "What a mess! Who made this mess?" Simon answered, "God."

The other night's bedtime conversation was interesting. Simon told me that daddy was a man. Then he said Daddy is a daddy is a man. I said, "I know." Then Simon said, "Daddy's scary." I said, "That's silly. Daddy's not scary." Simon laughed and smiled and said, "I know. Daddy's good."

Simon is all into parties, so this upcoming birthday should be fun! We have parties for everything. Sometimes I deem an "Ice Water Party" and we all sit at the table (Simon gets to choose a seat) and, you guessed it, drink ice water and Simon loves to "cheer" the party on.

We had a bandaid party a couple of days ago. He was intrigued by bandaids after reading Doctor Dan before nap and I promised him that when daddy came home we would have a "Bandaid Party" So, after dinner, I pulled out a small pack of spngebob bandaids that we received in the mail, and had a "Bandaid Party" We all put a bandaid on and that was pretty much the extent of it, but Simon was thrilled. We would run down the hall and say "Bandaid Party!!!!" So, putting him to bed that night he kept rearranging his bandaid. I usually sneak in there for one last check and just to hug him a couple of hours after he is bed, as I head to bed. Apparently the last place the bandaid landed was on his pillow, b/c when I went to bed I had a bandaid in my hair. Next morning, Simon's first words, "Where's my dand-day?" (That's how he prounounces band-aid.)

No comments: