Monday, June 07, 2010

Staycation Weekend

We were spoiled this weekend by housesitting for some friends of ours who have a pool.
And, with record breaking heat for June, the timing was perfect!
I love this little suit on Evie - reminds me of pictures I've seen from the 1950s and 60s!

Evie is pretty timid around water, like her big brother who only last year braved sitting on the steps inside a pool.
She was happy just standing around, and that was fine with me!
Evie's a lot like me, and I am very timid with new things, and I am the kind of person whose favorite thing at Six Flags is waiting in line -- for the conversations with friends ... the kind of friends who don't care if I don't ride the roller-coaster at the end of the line.
Simon is starting the summer by sitting on steps; so, who knows, he might progress if we put him around pools more!
On Saturday night we were really spoiled because we were going to Ava's 2nd birthday party that involved grilling out ... so we didn't even have to cook!
Here's a funny conversation when we came home that night.
Simon: Mom, will you read me my bible tonight?
Me: Yes, just a sec.
Simon: OR, did you actually give Ava my Bible, mom?
Me: We gave Ava a Bible like yours, but you still have yours.
Simon: (wistfully) Maybe they are enjoying the Bible right now....
Parenting was easy with Si staying on the steps or the little attached pool, and Evie barely emerging from the screened porch.
Third day : Evie wanting to get in the float that otherwise we'd force her to get into.
My 'spa' moment with a homemade yogurt and tumeric mask .... and I ate a grapefruit while it set.

Happy to spectate
Evie, you really don't need the float if you're not getting in the water.
We went bowling one night.
Last week I bought Simon and I bowling shoes at Academy Sports for only $19.99 each!
They pay for themselves in only 4-5 bowling visits and we are signed up this summer for the Kids Bowl Free program - so any weekday Simon can play two games free. The catch would be shoe rental prices so I went ahead and bought us some upfront. I also paid $25 which gives four adult family members the same two-game a day privileges. Any weekday until mid September I believe. The con is that it is from 9-6 so Matt can't normally go with us even though he was able to go w/ us this last Friday.
This is from the weekend before .... Simon still has his Spiderman face paint on ...
Simon had two miss two days of school last week w/ a mysterious rash and fever... the pediatrician says it was just a virus but that we can expect things like this for another 6 months or so since mono is still affecting Si and weakening his immune system.
He was not moving much for about two days and would fall asleep many times throughout the day ..., once at the kitchen table!
The Arboretum on Memorial Day weekend
Children's concert at the Arboretum
I am excited to have a summer that I hope will be slow enough that I can enjoy my family, patiently train my children and find ways to be a blessing to others!

No comments: