Thursday, July 23, 2009

Salzburg, Austria

We drove back to Munich through Salzburg instead of Innsbruck.
We thought this route was much better even though it was Google Map's second choice and we had to trick "Jane" by putting in Salzburg as our destination instead of Munich.
Should be on a calendar ...
(though it could use some shutters and a windowbox)
Some parts of the drive remind me of Colorado or how I imagine the Northwest United States would look ... the castles wouldn't come with the North America route, though.
We had fun driving on the infamous autobahn.
What was really funny is that I didn't go that fast.
Matt asked me how fast I went and I said 140.
Hoping he wouldn't think of it being kilometers, but his first response:  kilometers?  that's only like 90 mph.
I know.
The Sound of Music was filmed here.
The real story of Maria Von Trapp is much less cinematic and kind of sad actually.
Of course my source for that tidbit is Wikipedia, so ...
Sarah's Facebook Caption for this picture is:
AMY'S OUTFIT PROVIDED A LOT OF LAUGHS.
Tis true - for us and we got a few interesting looks.
I told Sarah people would think we were from South America rather than North America.
I never got a chance to change clothes after the beach and then it was cold and my hoodie was striped, my skirt was already floral, the pink flip flops were just for the beach ... and those are all of my excuses.  
Mozart's Birthplace.
We paid homage by playing the piano app on Matt's ipod.
We might be too silly for Austria.
And it wasn't even Easter :)
Outside the chapel where Maria was married.
Inside the chapel.
Oh, I just remembered my scarf was paisley.
Paisley, stripes, floral.
It could work ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME PIX! And I love that you weren't embarassed in your striped/floral/paisley outfit! You rock!

Summer said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures!
I'm with you. I would have been afraid to drive very fast on the autobahn. I'm a chicken. And I also have bad night vision. :)

Elicia said...

beautiful pictures! : )